Valley Relics Museum 501c3


Valley Relics Museum - Aerial view of the clubhouse at the $5,000,000 | How did Pacoima get its name?,In the language | Lankershim Avenue bridge..

Latest Articles

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-24 00:17

Aerial view of the clubhouse at the $5,000,000 Deauville Country Club in Tarzana and offers a panoramic view of the San Fernando Valley. In 1970, Deauville was renamed Braemar Country Club. Photo is dated July 7, 1961.

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-23 17:43

How did Pacoima get its name?

In the language of the Gabrielino Shoshonean Indians, Pacoima means "rushing water." The residential area borrowed the name in 1887 from a canyon to its north, which has a river flowing through it.

Here is a portion of the Pacoima Dam w...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-23 01:47

Lankershim Avenue bridge over the Los Angeles River at Universal City on March 7, 1938.

There have been eight major floods in the Valley since 1861, but the 1938 Los Angeles River flood in was one of the worst. The rains lasted for 3 days and the Big Tujunga Wash levee broke. Seventy-seven...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-22 17:13

Thriftimart, Store #48 located at 20934 Roscoe Boulevard, at the corner of DeSoto. Although the big “T” is gone, the building still exists with a Sam Ash Music Store and a Dollar Tree Store taking up the space.

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 is asking for donations to Valley Relics.

As requested The Skate House sign from Chatsworth was saved! A big thank you to Rod at The SkateHouse for this awesome donation. Some people might say “How is this a relic?” Someone asked me the same thing in 1986 when Gemco and Zody’s closed their doors. The signs were too new at the time. Thin...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-21 16:23

A man carrying skis heads for the slopes at the Pine Needle Ski Slope in Studio City, ca. 1939. Source: LAPL

Skier Sepp Benedikter opened the Pine Needle Ski Slope, located at the corner of Ventura Boulevard and Lankershim Boulevard in Studio City, on June 23, 1939. The club provided...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 is asking for donations to Valley Relics.

I would like to thank Steve and Colton Weiss of Mel's Drive-Ins for this amazing donation and a big shout out to Adriene Biondo for making this happen! We are always honored to save a piece of history. These beautiful Mel's Drive-In neon signs are from the 1050 Van Ness location in San Francis...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-20 17:15

Sylmar is Latin for "sea of trees," and was named for the acres of olive trees that were cultivated in the area.

View of olive groves on Roxford Avenue, now Roxford Street, in Sylmar, 1937. Source: LAPL

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-20 04:08

What a great photo taken this weekend by our friend, Dana Amann!

1937 Packard originally owned by actor Robert Taylor, at Oakridge, the 1937 home of actress Barbara Stanwyck in Northridge. The car would certainly have been at the home back at the time as Stanwyck and Taylor were married...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-19 22:42

Paradise Shoppe, located at 21032 Devonshire Street in Chatsworth, featuring Docia A. Conley products, such as sweet spiced figs, Kadata figs and candied fruits. Source: LAPL

This store was opened in 1915 by Docia Conley and in the 1940s, Docia's niece, Phoebe Chenard, became ...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-19 17:41

Shoup Avenue was named after Paul Shoup, who was the VP of the Southern Pacific Railroad and President of the Pacific Electric Railway Company.

Shoup was born in San Bernadino in 1874. He started out in the newspaper business, delivering papers and reporting local news while still in high s...

Valley Relics Museum 501c3 Photo 2018-03-19 00:20

Thirsty anyone? Cans and cartons of Old Milwaukee clog the transition road from the Ventura Freeway to the Golden State Freeway after a trailer truck of beer overturned on February 12, 1985. Source: LA Times Photographic Archives
Related Articles

MoMA The Museum of Modern Art Photo 2018-03-23 16:39

When Tarsila do Amaral had her first solo show in Paris in 1926, she commissioned famous Art Deco designer Pierre Legrain to construct frames that emphasized the exotic-magical nature of her works. Legrain had designed elaborate frames for artists like Picasso and Picabia and his frames for Tarsila—specifically designed for each work—became works themselves, made from lizard skin, corrugated cardboard, polished wood, with mirrors cut at angles, and more. “A Cuca” (1924) is the only one of her works to retain its original frame. #TarsilaMoMA … [Image: Tarsila do Amaral. A Cuca, 1924. Oil on canvas. Centre National des Arts Plastiques, Paris, France FNAC 9459. Photography © Cnap / Ville de Grenoble / Musée de Grenoble – J.L. Lacroix. © Tarsila do Amaral Licenciamentos]